Our community is making up for the pandemic drought of events, with a smashing lineup of Halloween contests and activities. Here’s the latest update.
Selfies With Scarecrows
The First Annual Friends of Downtown’s Selfies with Sanford Scarecrows contest has some amazing entries! We can’t tell you our favorites, so you’ll just have to get out and see them all! Visit this page to get your virtual map of all the locations, and instructions for uploading your selfies to enter the contest by November 5. 10 photos will be selected at random to win awesome prizes. If you’re stuck at home, or don’t do selfies, you can still check out the FOD’s Facebook page and enjoy photos of all the wonderful scarecrows.
We also put together a printable list with all the locations on one page:
Marc Motors’ Pumpkin Carving Contest
Marc Motors extended their Pumpkin Carving Contest for one more day, so there’s still time to enter! The winners will be chosen Friday by the end of the business day. Best pumpkin carved by an adult wins $250 cash, and the best pumpkin carved by a kid wins a $50 gift card to Smitty’s.
Halloween Decorating Contest
The 2021 Halloween Decorating Contest is underway with ten competitors, including eight from Sanford/Springvale. Now that the rain has stopped, the displays can be seen and appreciated at their best! Go to this link to register and get your virtual map: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/halloween-tour-map-tickets-199216861997. You can vote for your top three favorites using the link that will be sent to you by email.
If you’re not sure you’ll be able to pick favorites, you can skip that part and just drive around to see them:
- 41 Pond View Dr., Lebanon
- 499 Twombley Rd.
- 81 Twombley Rd.
- 6 Pearl St. (near the Green Tea Restaurant)
- 57 School St.
- 18 North St. (off Main St. by CVS)
- 86 June St. (the Shaw Rd. end)
- 67 Barbara St. (off Beaver Hill Rd. in Springvale)
- 9 Kirk St., Springvale
- 14 Union St., Biddeford
Winners will be announced October 30.
Halloween Art Contest for Grades 2-4
The entries have been displayed at City Hall and will remain there through the first week of November. Members of the Rotary Club did the judging. The winners are:
- 1st – Kiana/CJL – Grim Reaper and Pumpkins
- 2nd – Darius/SPE – Scary City Scene with Mtn
- 3rd – Sophia O’Connell/MCS – Boo Happy Halloween Pumpk/Witch
- 1st – Rory McGuckin Welsh/CJL – Night Sky Graveyard Tree Pumpkin
- 2nd – Mia Ericson/CJL – Haunted House
- 3rd – Ian Wells/MCS – Frankenstein
- 1st – Amelia Banton/MCS – Witch/BlackCat/Moon
- 2nd – Amelia Bottigliere/MCS – Big Pumpkin Happy Halloween
- 3rd – Ian Richards/CJL – Pumpkin/House
- 3rd – Alana Carter/CJL – Pumpkins on swings and leaf pile-Love Fall
1st place winners received $25 supplied by the Rotary Club, 2nd place winners received $15 gift cards, and 3rd place winners received $10 gift cards.
Selected entries have been painted on the windows of Sanford/Springvale storefronts, and judged by local families. The winners of the window painting competition are:
- lst Place – Kiana – CJL, Sherwin Williams – Grim Reaper
- 2nd Place – Jacob Perry – CJL, Portland Glass – Scarecrow
- 3rd Place – Eamon – CJL, City Hall by Clerks Office – Grim Reaper
- lst Place Brady M – CJL, Marden’s – Bat and 2 pumpkins
- 2nd Place – Ian Wells – MCS, Marden’s Furniture – Frankenstein and Friends
- 3rd Place – Payton Moors – SPE, Springvale Nursery – Pumpkin/cat/moon
- lst Place – Ivy Peters – CJL, Shaw’s Hardware – cemetery
- 2nd Place – Grant Payeur – CJL, Southern Maine Aviation – Pumpkin on Fence
- 3rd Place – Isabelle Phillips – CJL, Next to Mainers Shop – Ghost flying over Trees
1st place winners received $25 gift cards, 2nd place winners received $15 gift cards, and 3rd place winners received $10 gift cards. Teacher who won the $25 gift card for Class Participation– M. Longfish 2nd Grade MCS
We put together a slideshow video with most of the entries, complete with spooky music. Check it out!
Saturday, October 30
- Spooky Sprint 5K Family Fun Run/Walk at the YMCA
- Harvest Party at Mercy Chapel
- Trunk or Treat at Curtis Lake Church
Sunday, October 31
- Flight or Fright at the Airport