Fire Department Log September 26-October 9

Fires

A fire in a home on Pleasant St. on September 26 was found to be caused by a towel smoldering on a light bulb. Five units responded with mutual aid for backup. No injuries were reported and no residents were displaced.

Five units responded to a cooking fire on Elm St. on October 1. Mutual aid was also called in for backup on that call. Fortunately, the blaze was confined to a container.

There were two calls for unauthorized burning, and another which was authorized.

Other Incidents

There were two calls for furnace backfires during the two week period, and another for excessive heat and scorch burns that didn’t reach the point of ignition.

Firefighters responded to two spills during the period. One was a car leaking gasoline and another was an oil spill at a residence. A call for arcing/shorted electrical equipment was due to a faulty stove. There were also two calls for an odor of smoke, and one for a smell of propane that was unable to be traced. Assistance was rendered to one person for unspecified reasons.

EMS

There were 119 calls for Emergency Medical Services during this period. 33 persons required first aid, 58 were given basic life support and 43 received advanced life support. 97 people were transported to hospitals.

The Department also responded to a motor vehicle accident with injuries and eight accidents without injuries. On two occasions, additional personnel were called out to assist an EMS crew. Eleven invalids were assisted during the two-week period.

Other

Five calls were dispatched and cancelled en route. Three calls resulted in no incident found upon arrival. Five calls were the results of malfunctioning equipment or unintentional activation.


Sanford Firefighter/AEMT Chris Calnan was congratulated by his coworkers on his recent retirement after 20 years of dedicated service. Pictured below, from L to R: Eric Cheney, Tucker Holt, Ben Wildes, Zac Storey, Chris Calnan, Samantha Cole, Justin Barnaby, Brian Ackley, Dwight Emmons.