Graphic by Mohamed Hassan via Pixabay.
Compiled by Zendelle Bouchard
At its meeting on Jan. 2, 2023, the City Council approved the schedule for reviewing the 2024/25 municipal and school budgets. This year, the budget will be split into two parts. Part one will include all current expenditures for staff and operations. Part two will include requests for new items.
- From Jan. 3-25, City Manager Steve Buck and Finance Director Ronni Champlin will meet with municipal department heads to review their individual budgets and capital plans.
- The City Council will have a budget workshop on Jan. 30 at 4 pm and another one with department heads on Feb. 13 at 5 pm.
- The School Committee will have workshops beginning Jan. 29 at 4 pm and continuing on Mondays and Wednesdays as needed through the month of February, except for school vacation week.
- On March 5 the Council will hear one-hour presentations on the City and School Department budgets beginning at 4 pm.
- On March 12 the Council will hear a more detailed presentation of the school budget at 4 pm.
- On March 19 there will be a more detailed presentation of the city budget, followed by a public hearing on both budgets during the regular Council meeting which begins at 6 pm.
- On March 26 there will be a wrap-up of both budgets beginning at 4 pm.
- On April 2 the Council will vote on both budgets.
- A public hearing on the Budget Validation Referendum for the school budget will be held May 7 OR May 21
- The School Budget Validation Referendum will be held June 11.
The public is welcome at all City Council and School Committee meetings and workshops but may only be allowed to speak at regular meetings and public hearings. All meetings, public hearings and workshops are televised on cable, YouTube and Town Hall Streams.