by Springvale Library Staff
Joyful faces and dwarf goat antics were in abundance during the Summer Reading Program party on the Springvale Public Library grounds on Wednesday August 18th. The party celebrated reading and the abundance of food raised for the Animal Welfare Society during the reading program this summer. Legacy Lane Farms petting zoo from Stratham, NH, was the entertainment of the afternoon. They brought dwarf goats, chickens, ducks, sheep and a rabbit for our eager animal lovers to pet, feed and hold to everyone’s delight. Chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream was generously donated by Shaw’s Ridge Farm, and was enjoyed by the 157 people attending. Throughout the summer, children visiting the library were encouraged to “Scoop for the Pooch” by putting a scoop of dog food in a special cylinder created by Rohm. Each time the food reach the top, the Loyal Companion pet store in Sanford donated a bag of dog food to the Animal Welfare Society in Kennebunk. A total of 10 bags of dog food was donated, equivalent to more than 272 meals for the dogs at the shelter. The party was the perfect ending to a summer of reading about Tails and Tales.
Music on the Patio
Our series of outdoor summer concerts kicks off this week! Shows are on Fridays from noon to 1:00 p.m. Bring your lunch!
- August 20: Dann Wolf
- August 27: Just Us – Ellen & Paul
- September 3: Opera On Tap
- September 10: Louie Coluni
- September 17: Jimmy Mac
More Upcoming Special Events
- September 2nd Author visit – Maureen Milliken, author of Cold Hard News. Books available to pick up at the Library.
- September 9th – Adult craft demonstration live on Facebook
- September 14th 5:30-7:00 Cook the Book on the Patio September’s book is Happy in a Hurray by Steve & Kathy Doocy. Stop by the Library and choose a recipe to bring to the event and peruse a bunch of cookbooks.
- September 17 & 18 10:00 – 3:00 Annual Book Sale & Concert – Thousands of books, hundreds of puzzles.
- September 23rd 6-7:30 Maine Humanities Murder Mystery featuring Maine author David Crossman’s Show of Hands . Books available to pick up at the Library. Registration required.
Other Upcoming Activities:
- Weekly Make It & Create It kids craft
- Home School Group Mondays at 11:00
- Story Time 10:00, beginning September 10th, every Fridays (outside but moving to Zoom if there is inclement weather)
- TAG Teens After School – Every Wednesday, beginning September 15th, 3:30 – 4:30 Join Sheila weekly for cool crafts, activities, books, and SNACKS! Ages 12 and up.
- Adult: Knit Lits Every Tuesday 3-4:30
- Non-Fiction: The Essential Guide to Hiking with Dogs –Trail tested Tips and Expert Advice for Canine Adventures by Jen Sotolongo. Hiking with your dog! Yes…. Great information for planning those fall foliage hikes! “Need-to-know topics for novice hikers or new owners, from trail etiquette to leave no trace ethics, important gear and packing guides to essential commands you should train on the trail. Color photography throughout.”–Provided by publisher
- Fiction: The Godmothers by Camille Aubray. Godmothers to one anther’s children, four women who married into a prosperous Italian family must come together, despite secrets and betrayals, when their husbands are forced to leave them during World War II, pitting them against notorious gangsters who run the streets of New York City.
- Children’s Picture book: Jabari Tries by Gaia Cornwall. Problem solve with aspiring inventor Jabari as he tries to create a flying machine in his backyard.
- Chapter book: Dragon Mountain by Katie & Kevin Tsang, A rich mythology and a tale of friendship, snarky dragons, and daring deeds. (review)