Sanford Parks and Recreation is taking registrations now for the winter session of Vacation Day Camp, a program for school age children (grades pre-K to 6) which runs the length of a vacation week when school is not in session. Campers are kept safe and busy with a variety of activities that will include: Lego’s, games, arts and crafts, sports, field trips, movies, and just plain fun. All activities will be held at the Memorial Gym. This year’s dates and times are:
- Wednesday December 23, 7:30 am-5:30 pm
- Thursday December 24, 7:30 am-12:30 pm
- Monday December 28, 7:30 am-5:30 pm
- Tuesday December 29, 7:30 am-5:30 pm
- Wednesday December 30, 7:30 am-5:30 pm
- Thursday December 31, 7:30 am-3:30 pm
State guidelines highly encourage social distancing, so Parks and Rec staff is working hard on creative, fun and new games for campers that maintain at least 6 feet of physical distance. Per the Governor’s new Executive Order, masks must be worn at all times even when social distancing. Activities may include music, movies, individual crafts, theatre, cheer leading, dancing, environment (including walks and hikes), magic, story hours, and a variety of interesting educational activities. Staff to camper ratio is 1/8. Staff range in age 15-25 yrs old. Children must be potty trained. Staff is not trained for working with children with highly social, emotional, and behavioral needs including children affected by autism spectrum disorders.
Additional things to know:
- Be sure to pack breakfast, at least two snacks, lunch and beverage for each child.
- Temperature will be taken each morning at camp and hand washing and hand sanitizing will be done frequently.
- Campers should be dressed in appropriate clothing for outdoor play.
- The cost is $85 for Sanford/Springvale residents