By Zendelle Bouchard
Want to have a say in how our city is run? Nomination papers for municipal offices are available now at the Clerk’s office in City Hall. The following offices will be on the ballot:
- City Councilor – 3-year term (2). These seats are currently held by Maura Herlihy and Jonathan Martell.
- City Councilor – 1 year to finish unexpired term. This seat is currently held by Nathaniel Hitchcock.
- School Committee –3-year term (2). These seats are currently held by Paula Cote and Amy Turgeon Sevigny.
- Water District Trustee – 3-year term. This seat is currently held by Roland Cote.
- Sewerage District Trustee – 3-year term (2). These seats are currently held by Nathaniel Hitchcock and Keith Patterson.
The deadline to submit nomination papers is Thursday, September 6 at 5:30 p.m. Candidates for office must be registered voters with their principal place of residence in Sanford/Springvale. Candidates for City Council and School Committee must submit 50 signatures to qualify; Water and Sewerage District Trustee candidates must submit 25 signatures.
Election Day is Tuesday, November 7. Polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. You may request an absentee ballot beginning August 7. Absentee ballots will be mailed out once the slate of candidates is finalized. In-person absentee voting will be held at City Hall beginning in October.
In addition to the municipal races, there will be eight statewide referendum questions for voters to decide. See the list of ballot questions here: https://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/elec/upcoming/index.html. A Voter’s Guide to the referendum will be published on the City’s website when it is available.