Sanford Springvale News Banner

Copyright © 2024 – Sanford Springvale News – All rights reserved.

Join the Portland Sea Dogs on May 20th for the Sanford High School Night at the Ballpark! The night includes a pre-game parade and National Anthem performance! The gates open at 4:30 p.m. and the game starts at 6:00 p.m. They recommend being in the park no later than 5:00 p.m. Tickets are $8.00 in the general admission section, with a portion benefitting Sanford High School Band. General Admission is open style seating so regardless of the seat number you purchase, you will be able to sit next to friends and family in that section. This group rate will not be available day of game so please purchase through this link in advance. (Tickets are $13.00 for adults and $10.00 for children day of game).

Members of the American Legion Auxiliary will be around town on Friday and Saturday, May 20 and 21, offering paper poppies for a donation of any amount. The red poppy is a symbol of the blood shed by soldiers during World War I, and has been the official flower of the American Legion for a hundred years. The paper poppies honor fallen soldiers, and the donations collected are used to support veterans and their families. Look for Auxiliary members at Shaw’s Supermarket, Springvale Hardware and the Springvale Walgreens store.

The Maine Department of Transportation is taking public comments through May 27 on reconstruction of the intersection of Route 4 (Alfred Rd.), School St. and Gavel Rd. You can register here to watch the online presentation (a series of short videos) and leave a comment. The intersection will be widened, with left turn lanes on Route 4 to turn onto School St. or Gavel Rd. A full traffic signal will be installed. Construction is scheduled to begin in June 2023 and be completed in July 2024. During construction, there will be alternating one-lane and temporary traffic patterns. 90% of the cost of the project is being paid through federal funds, with the remaining 10% paid by the state.

On Sunday, May 29 at 11:00 a.m., the Bauneg Beg Lake Association will present an educational workshop at Waban’s Wormwood Conference Center, 15 Oak Hill Rd. Sean Jalbert, owner of Native Haunts Nursery in Alfred will give a presentation on shoreland buffer plants well adapted to Bauneg Beg’s sandy, acidic, drought-prone, and shaded shoreline soils. Participants may order the recommended plants at the event. Admission is free and all are welcome.

Erin Barry of Sanford Middle School has been recognized as one of Junior Achievement’s seven Extraordinary Educators in the state of Maine for 2022. She has been an educator for 17 years and currently serves as the Social Studies Department Chair at SMS.  Principal Pam Lydon shares Erin “has a genuine passion for social studies and makes strong, lasting connections with her students.  She is a leader in her department and goes above and beyond supporting the team with resources and support in their classrooms.”  Read more to learn about Erin and why she’s a 2022 Extraordinary Educator. 

Tickets are available now for the summer concert series at The Runaway at Pilot’s Cove Café, including their July 4th Fireworks Extravaganza. See the entire schedule at therunawayatpcc.com/calender.

Copyright © 2024 - Sanford Springvale News - All rights reserved. | CoverNews by AF themes.