Smoke and Fire
On October 13, the crew of Engine 4 dealt with a mulch fire in a parking lot on Main St. Later that day, five units were called out to a report of a possible fire on International Dr. However, firefighters found only smoke, no fire. On the 16th, the smell of smoke on Kimball St. was determined to be from a tripped fuse in an electrical panel. Six units responded to that call, as well as mutual aid for cover.
The Department responded to several leaks of hazardous or combustible material during the two-week period.
- On October 10, a vehicle on Main St. was leaking fuel. Absorbant was applied and the Department of Environmental Protection notified.
- On the 11th, a freon leak was caused by a homeowner on Marginal Way cutting the coolant line to an air conditioning unit.
- October 17, a smoking vehicle on School St. was due to an oil leak.
- October 22, firefighters responded to a report of oil spilled on the side of the road on Main St.
- The Department was also called out to assist with a sewage pipe leak on Cottage St. on October 16.
Emergency Medical Services
The Department responded to 99 calls for emergency medical services during the two-week period. 33 people required first aid, 56 received basic life support and 22 received advanced life support. Some patients received more than one service. 87 people were transported to the hospital.
Firefighters also responded to two motor vehicle accidents with injuries, two motor vehicle/pedestrian accidents, and seven accidents with no injuries. 16 invalids were assisted during the period. These generally involve lifting a person after a fall or who is unable to get up from a chair .
There were two reports of burning that were controlled and authorized. One HazMat investigation revealed no hazardous material. There was one false alarm, and nine incidents of alarm or smoke detector activation that were unintentional or the result of malfunctioning equipment. Two calls were dispatched and cancelled en route, and there were nine calls that resulted in no incident found upon arrival.
Subscribe to our twice-weekly email newsletter and never miss a story! Visit sanfordspringvalenews.com/subscribe/ to sign up.