On April 16, a High St. fire in debris on the ground spread to a shed, fortunately no injuries were reported. On April 21, a brush fire was started by a cigarette, then wind spread it to surrounding leaves. Engines 4 and 5 responded to both of those calls. On the 23rd, Sanford firefighters provided mutual aid to Lebanon for a large structure fire and woods fire, and to Shapleigh for a brush fire. On the 27th, it was Sanford’s turn to call for mutual aid to battle a house fire on Airport Rd. There were no injuries, but one pet was lost.
On April 18, a carbon monoxide alarm on Channel Ln. brought firefighters to investigate. Elevated CO levels were found in the building, which was ventilated to clear. Other incidents during the period included a downed power line, an electrical problem, two water problems, a smoke scare and two reports of unauthorized burning. A report of a white powder in a mailbox on Twombley Rd. was confirmed to be not hazardous. The Department responded to one citizen complaint.
There were 101 calls for emergency medical services in the second half of April. 20 people received first aid, 47 received basic life support and 47 received advanced life support. 91 individuals were transported to the hospital. The Department responded to one motor vehicle accident with injuries and six without injuries, as well as one motor vehicle/pedestrian accident. Four invalids were given assistance.
Five calls were dispatched and cancelled en route. On four calls, no incident was found upon arrival. There were five instances of unintentional alarm activation or malfunctioning equipment.
Subscribe to our twice-weekly email newsletter and never miss a story! Visit sanfordspringvalenews.com/subscribe/ to sign up.