Community Calendar: March 6-12, 2023
Monday, March 6
Red Cross Blood Drive, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm, Nasson Community Center, 457 Main St.
School Committee, 6:00 pm, City Hall Council Chambers, 3rd Floor, 919 Main St., and via Zoom. The agenda includes a snow day update, school budget update, safety update and other items.
Tuesday, March 7
Volunteer Driver Info Session, 1:00 pm, Willard Building, 668 Main St. York County Community Action offers Volunteer Driver services to residents who have no other means of transportation. If you have extra time, a good, reliable vehicle and a desire to help your community, come to this informational session on what it takes to become a Volunteer Driver for your community. It’s a very rewarding experience and mileage reimbursement is offered to offset the cost of gas.
City Council Budget Workshop, 4:00 pm, City Hall Council Chambers, 3rd Floor, 919 Main St., and via Zoom. The agenda includes an overview of the municipal and school budgets.
City Council, 6:00 pm, City Hall Council Chambers, 3rd Floor, 919 Main St., and via Zoom. The agenda includes cannabis license renewal hearings, dangerous building hearings, discussion of recommendations from the Appointments Subcommittee to fill the vacant Council seat, and other items.
2nd Annual Instrumental Showcase, 6:00 p[m, Sanford Performing Arts Center, 100 Alumni Blvd. Concert featuring Sanford High School’s Winter Guard, Winter Percussion, Jazz Ensemble and Concert Band.
Thursday, March 9
Senior Food Mobile, 10:00 – 11:30 am, Crossroads United Methodist Church, 15 Grammar Rd. For anyone over 60 years old in need of food assistance: produce for all, commodities for those who meet income eligibility requirements.
The StepCrew, 7:00 pm, Sanford Performing Arts Center, 100 Alumni Blvd. See this story for all the details.
Friday, March 10
Medicare Options, Goodall Library, 952 Main St. Each Friday in March, the Southern Maine Agency on Aging will be hosting this program to help navigate Medicare options for people planning for retirement. Drop in anytime between 12:30 and 3:30 pm.
Public Haddock Dinner, each Friday during Lent, 5:30 – 6:30 pm, St. Thomas School, 69 North Ave. Includes baked haddock, potato, vegetables, homemade bread and desserts, etc. $15 for adults, $10 for children under 12. For more info, call Ray at 207-651-6636. Hosted by the Knights of Columbus.
Saturday, March 11
Free Puzzle Exchange, 1:00 – 1:30 pm, Goodall Library, 952 Main St. Bring your unwanted jigsaw puzzles from home and trade them in for others at the library. Please make sure puzzles have all their pieces, no pet hair, and come from a smoke-free home. No donations please; trades only.
All You Can Eat Buffet, 4:30 – 6:00 pm, VFW Post 9935, 1 Hutchinson St. Delicious home cooking, $10 per person. All proceeds benefit Veterans and Veterans’ families, and to further the POW/MIA cause.
Cabin Fever Reliever, 4:30 – 6:00 pm, Sanford Springvale YMCA, 1 Emile Levasseur Dr. This FREE community event is open to the public. Swim in the pool, join a family yoga session, play giant family games and more. Light refreshments provided.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner, 4:30 – 6:30 pm, Sanford First Baptist Church, 905 Main St. $12 per person. To reserve, call 324-5456 and leave your name and the number of meals and whether it is for eat in or take out.
- 3/14: Volunteer Driver Info Session at Willard Building
- 3/14: Matthew Meal at St. Thomas School
- 3/14: Resiliency & Relationships: Tools for Parents at Willard Building
- 3/14: 35th Annual Bandfest at SPAC
- 3/15: Friends of Downtown
- 3/15: Setting Up Your Organic Garden with Dr. Bud Johnston at Springvale Library
- 3/16: Humana Presents Tech 101 for Seniors at Goodall Library
- 3/16: Third Thursday Free Supper at North Parish Church
- 3/16: Welcome to Maine Comedy Show at Pilot’s Cove Cafeé
- 3/17: AWS Presents Furry Tales Story Time at Goodall Library
- 3/17: Medicare Options at Goodall Library
- 3/17: Sanford Alumni Association Annual St. Patty’s Day Bash at Willy’s Ale Room
- 3/18: Corner Cupboard at Unitarian Universalist Church
And Every Week:
- Sanford Food Pantry, Mondays from 10:00 am to noon (unless it is a holiday)
- Free Lunch at Sunset Tower, Tuesdays and Thursdays at noon
- Bingo at Sanford Elks Lodge, Tuesdays at 6:00 pm
- Wednesday Night Bite at Curtis Lake Church, Wednesday at 6:00 pm
- St. Thérèse Food Closet at St. Ignatius Gym, Thursdays from noon to 2:00 pm
- Free Community Meal at New Beginnings Christian Church, Thursdays at 5:00 pm
- Salvation Army produce pantry, Fridays from 10:00 am to noon. (Staple boxes 2nd and 4th Fridays, 9:00-3:00.)
Visit our Events Calendar for details on all these events and more.